John A. Legnitto Environmental Learning Center
The John A. Legnitto Environmental Learning Center (ELC) at Recology San Francisco is where the public goes to learn more about resource recovery and the environment. Named after one of our most loved general managers who passed away in April 2014, the ELC is utilized for school field trips, tours, and other educational meetings.
The ELC houses a classroom, the Recology Artist in Residence Program offices, and a gallery featuring work made by past artists.
RECOLOGY FACILITY TOURS
Sign up for a facility tour to learn more about materials processing, zero waste efforts in San Francisco, and the Recology Artist in Residence Program
Recology offers public tours on the 3rd Saturday and 4th Wednesday of each month. Both tours include an overview of Recology and recycling operations in San Francisco and a visit to the art studio and sculpture garden.
Third Saturday Tour:
Geared toward adults interested in learning more about the Recology Artist in Residence Program, and required for those who intend on applying for an artist residency. This tour does not include a visit to Recycle Central at Pier 96 (the Recology San Francisco recycling and sorting facility).
Fourth Wednesday Tour:
Focuses on recycling, and includes a visit to Recycle Central at Pier 96 (the Recology San Francisco recycling and sorting facility).
- Tours include a walk up three long flights of stairs and walking on uneven surfaces and hills
- Certain areas of the facility may be extremely slippery
- Tours involve loud noises, strong smells and dust
- Attendees must wear closed-toe, comfortable walking shoes (no sandals)
- For safety reasons, tours are not allowed for children under nine years of age
- Tours are not held if it is raining
- Tours take approximately two hours to complete; visitors must be able to complete the entire tour
Field trips for the San Francisco Unified School District are scheduled through the San Francisco Department of the Environment. Applications for these free field trips are due in August of each school year. Please call (415) 355-3700 for more information. Additional school field trips are provided throughout the year based upon availability.
To make a reservation, please call (415) 330-9943.