Recology ships more than 30 large containers six days a week from Recycle Central to paper mills, glass plants, and other manufacturers that purchase specific recycled materials.
Designed and constructed by Recology in partnership with The City of San Francisco, Recycle Central opened in 2002 and is a key component in achieving zero waste.
- The Recycle Central plant is 185,000 square feet
- Approximately 750 tons of commingled materials are sorted every day.
- The Recycle Central plant is the largest shipper of waste paper on the West Coast
- The Recycle Central workforce includes over 180 employee-owners, many from nearby neighborhood Bayview Hunters Point
- Materials Recovery Facility (Recycling Center/Depot)Materials Recovery Facility (Recycling Center/Depot)
While most Materials Recovery Facilities do not accept material from the public, they serve as an important part of our recycling process. This is where recyclables are sorted and baled by commodity, and then shipped to paper mills, glass plants, and other manufacturers to be made into new products.