It is illegal to put items such as electronics, batteries, fluorescent bulbs, pesticides, and other chemicals in the trash. When household hazardous wastes end up in a landfill, they can cause serious threats to humans, wildlife and the environment.
Businesses with hazardous waste should contact Del Norte Solid Waste Management Authority to learn about the common examples of hazardous waste and how to legally, safely and properly dispose of these items.
Residents and businesses may drop off items at the Del Norte County Transfer Station.
Household Hazardous Waste items may include:
- ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
When medications are disposed of in the trash or down the drain, they can find their way into our waterways and negatively impact frogs, fish and other aquatic life.
Drop off medications for safe handling at the Del Norte County Sheriff’s office. Call 707-464-4191 for information on drop off times.
All sharps waste must be transported to the Del Norte County Transfer Station in an approved sharps container. Home-generated sharps waste includes hypodermic needles, syringes and lancets that are used for medical purposes.
FDA-approved sharps containers are sold at:
- Crescent Hay & Feed, 160 Elk Valley Road, Crescent City, CA
- Parkway Feed, 1645 Parkway Drive, Crescent City, CA
- Walgreens, 787 L Street, Crescent City, CA
- Wal-Mart, 900 E Washington Blvd., Crescent City, CA
- All Creatures Animal Hospital, 1380 Northcrest Dr., Crescent City, CA
Visit CalRecycle for a list of companies that are authorized to provide sharps waste mail-back services in California.
Pre-paid Mail-back sharps containers can be ordered from:
- EnviroMed: (877) 340-2430
- XMED Disposal: (866) 735-9709
- GRP & Associates: (800) 207-0976
- Medasend: (800) 200-3581
- Sharps Compliance: (800) 772-5657
- Stericycle: (800) 355-8773 or (800) 527-0666
- WCM Home Sharps Disposal: (877) 436-5480
(to report hazardous waste violations only)
Poison Control Center
California Poison Action Line
ASPCA (Animal Poison Control Hotline)
Del Norte Humane Society
Still have questions about hazardous waste?
To find out more about discarding and disposing of other house hold hazardous waste, you can call Del Norte Solid Waste Management Authority about the Household Hazardous Waste Program.
Del Norte Solid Waste Management Authority
1700 State St., Crescent City, CA 95531
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Phone: (707) 465-1100 – Fax: (707) 465-1300