Hazardous waste accounts for significant amounts of toxic waste in landfills. Items such as electronics, fluorescent bulbs and tubes, paints, pesticides, cleaning products, old medications and other chemicals are illegal to put in the garbage or pour down a drain or gutter because they contaminate our soil, drinking water and air.
Choose your county:
- Household Hazardous Waste Disposal information
- Household Electronic Disposal Information
- Motor Oil Recycling Information
- Household Battery Recycling locations
- Compact Fluorescent Light Recycling locations
- Safe Medication Disposal locations
SANTA ROSA CUSTOMERS:
Electronics Collection: Recology Sonoma Marin collects electronics for recycling, as a bulky item pickup. Please contact customer service to set up an appointment, and for more details. Any Sonoma County transfer station accepts household electronics for recycling. Goodwill will also accept electronics, working or not. Please also visit www.ZeroWasteSonoma.gov for additional recycling options, as well as for community drop-off events.
- Motor Oil: We offer a curbside pickup for motor oil and filters – call customer service to request an oil kit and you will be provided with a container and zip-lock filter bag. When filled, call customer service to request a pick up, and place oil and filters at the curb next (NOT IN) to your recycling cart for pickup. There are also many locations in Sonoma County that will accept motor oil and filters. Visit www.recyclenow.org to find a location.
Please visit Zero Waste Marin for household hazardous waste disposal information.
Recology Sonoma Marin hosts annual household electronic drop-off events. Check this website and your mail periodically for details on upcoming events. Visit Zero Waste Marin to search for additional recycling options.
Toxics: The Novato Sanitary District operates a drop-off facility for household hazardous waste. Located at the Novato Recycling Center, 7576 Redwood Blvd., the facility is open on the first and third consecutive Sunday and Monday of each month from 8:30-1:30. For more information, please call (415) 892-7344 or visit http://www.novatosan.com
Electronic Waste: The HHW Facility now accepts all types of electronics, including computers, TV’s, small household appliances and microwaves. No large appliances such as refrigerators, stoves or washer/dryers. North Bay Conservation Corps offers free pick-ups of E-Waste. Call them at 415-454-4554 to schedule a pick up.
Motor Oil: The Novato Recycling Center at 7576 Redwood Blvd. will accept used motor oil and filters for recycling during normal business hours: Tuesday-Sunday 10-4. There are also many locations in Marin County that will accept motor oil for recycling. Most locations also take filters. Search to find the location nearest you.
Batteries: The Novato Recycling Center at 7576 Redwood Blvd. will accept all types household batteries for recycling during normal business hours: Tuesday-Sunday 10-4. There are also many locations in Marin County that will accept batteries for recycling. Search to find the location nearest you.
CFLs: The Novato Recycling Center at 7576 Redwood Blvd. will accept fluorescent tubes and CFLs for recycling during normal business hours: Tuesday-Sunday 10-4. There are also many locations in Marin County that will accept fluorescent lights for recycling. Search to find the location nearest you.
Sharps and Medications: Safe Medication & Sharps Disposal locations