Audits and Consultations
Our Waste Zero Team helps businesses apply best management practices in collecting recycling, compost, and landfill materials. We provide a single point of contact to help you implement new recycling programs or improve existing programs and make sure you have the resources you need. For a summary of all our services and outreach resources, please refer to our comprehensive commercial brochure.
Depending on the type of business or residential property, the team will:
The Waste Zero Team is familiar with assisting all business types – from office buildings, hotels and hospitality, restaurants, hospitals, and shopping centers to large commercial residential properties (Multi-Family Dwellings).
Smart Business: 10 Tips to Prevent Waste and Save Money
- Inform employees and tenants about recycling and compost programs on an ongoing basis via e-mail, meetings, newsletters, and sorting guides.
- Place signage near every collection container – kitchens, bathrooms, common areas.
- Place a blue recycling container beside every desk, workstation, copier, printer, and garbage container.
- Designate a recycling coordinator to help champion your recycling programs.
- Make the most out of your paper. Purchase printers that allow double-sided printing, or use the other side of paper for your copy and notepaper. Purchase paper made with recycled content.
- Use washable mugs instead of paper or foam cups, and use drinking glasses for tap water or water delivered in large bottles.
- Invest in washable cloth dish towels and napkins, reusable plates, bowls, and utensils.
- Shred or bunch up old paper or catalogs to use as packing material. Ask vendors to avoid using excessive packaging, and reuse packaging materials whenever possible. Foam peanuts, bubble wrap, and most packing materials can be donated to packaging stores.
- Opt-out of unwanted printed mailing lists: BayAreaRecycling.org, CatalogChoice.org
- Invest in rechargeable batteries and battery chargers for digital cameras, flashlights, and other small devices. Designate a space for proper battery recycling.