That State of CA has prohibited electronic waste, such as fluorescent tubes and consumer batteries, from the trash or landfill bin because they contain poisonous heavy metals such as lead, mercury and cadmium. These chemicals can pollute groundwater near landfills and pose harmful effects on public health.
Example Electronic/Universal Waste Items:
- Batteries & fluorescent lamps –
- CD-DVD players
- Cell phones
- Computer monitors
- Computer peripherals, including mice and keyboards
- Digital clocks
- Fax machines
- Hand-held electronics
- Microwaves and other small household appliances
- MP3 players
- Personal digital assistants
- Video cassette recorders
Drop off electronic items at the following facilities:
- Most electronics will be taken free of charge during business hours. Microwaves and other small appliances will be charged.
- Residential customers will be charged for bringing more than nine fluorescent tubes or bulbs.
- Charges will apply for commercial customers to dispose of fluorescent tubes or bulbs.