There will be no service interruption on the listed Federal Holidays, with the exception of Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. Please note, the Administrative Office is closed on the following Federal Holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
2018-2019 Holiday Collection Schedule
So that our employees can enjoy the holidays with their families, Recology will be closed on Tuesday, December 25th (Christmas Day) and Tuesday, January 1st (New Year’s Day). If you are a Tuesday customer and your service falls on these two holidays, your collection will be moved to the next day (Wednesday, December 26th and Wednesday, January 2nd). If your collection usually falls on Wednesday, place your containers out on Thursday, December 27th and Thursday, January 3rd. Please see calendar below for complete schedule.
Please set out your recycling, compost, and solid waste carts by 6:00 a.m. based on the calendar below. Your regular collection service will resume on Monday, January 8, 2019.
Office is closed.
Collection day will be Wednesday 12/26.
Collection day will be Thursday 12/27.
Collection day will be Friday 12/28.
Collection day will be Saturday 12/29.
Office is closed.
Collection day will be Wednesday 1/2.
Collection day will be Thursday 1/3.
Collection day will be Friday 1/4.
Collection day will be Saturday 1/5.
Holiday Tree Collection
Recology San Mateo County will collect holiday trees curbside for composting between December 26th and January 31st, on your regular collection day. PLEASE REMOVE ALL DECORATIONS AND TREE STANDS (flocked trees are accepted) before placing next to your green compost cart. Trees may be up to 8 feet in length. If your tree is longer than 8 feet, please cut the tree before placing the pieces next to or in your compost cart. After January 31st, please cut the tree to fit inside the compost cart.
Please call to arrange for collection of holiday trees. Trees can be collected in piles or in a drop box for no additional charge. For more information, please call a customer service representative at 650.595.3900.
Green Holiday Tips
Recology San Mateo County will collect holiday trees curbside for composting between December 26th and January 31st, on your regular collection day. Here are some easy tips to “green” the holiday season!
Holiday parties and other activities present many opportunities to reduce waste through reuse and recycling. The following are just a few ideas to help you reduce, reuse and recycle this holiday season:
- Have a create-your-own-decorations party! Invite family and friends to create and use holiday decorations such as ornaments made from old greeting cards or cookie dough, garlands made from strung popcorn or cranberries, wreaths made from artificial greens and flowers, and potpourri made from kitchen spices such as cinnamon and cloves.
- Think “green” while shopping. Try to buy items with minimal packaging and/or made with recycled content. Check product labels to determine an item’s recyclability and whether it is made from recycled materials.
- Consider the durability of a product before you buy it as a gift. Cheaper, less durable items often wear out quickly, creating waste and costing you money. Look for items that embody the concept of reuse.
- Wrap your gifts in newspaper, which is not only recyclable, but also VERY inexpensive. Recipients always have fun reading the print before opening the gift. Not to mention, the gifts can look very pretty. Hint: If you are wrapping for a child, try using the comics section of the newspaper for a fun surprise.
- Often times the present itself can create the wrapping of the gift. For example, scarves, soft blankets, or even reusable shopping bags, can create very GREEN wrappings for gifts.