Guides & Signage
For Property Owners
Smart Business: Tips to Prevent Waste and Save Money
- Inform employees and tenants. Provide information on an ongoing basis about your recycling and composting programs – e-mail, meetings, newsletters, and sorting guides.
- Place signage near every container – kitchens, bathrooms, common areas.
- Place a blue recycling container beside every desk, workstation, copier, printer and garbage can.
- Designate a recycling coordinator or leader to be in charge of your recycling programs.
- Make the most out of your paper. Purchase printers that allow double sided printing, or use the other side of paper for your copy and note paper. Purchase recycled paper.
- Use washable mugs instead of paper or Styrofoam cups, and use drinking glasses for tap water or water delivered in large bottles.
- Invest in washable cloth dish towels and napkins, reusable plates, bowls and utensils.
- Packing Materials: Shred or bunch up old paper or catalogues to use as packing material. Ask your vendors to avoid using excessive packaging, and reuse packaging materials whenever possible. Styrofoam peanuts, bubble wrap, and most packing materials can be donated to packaging stores.
- Opt out of unwanted printed mailing lists: www.stopjunkmail.org, www.41pounds.org, www.CatalogChoice.org
- Invest in rechargeable batteries and battery chargers for digital cameras, flashlights, and other small devices. Designate a space for proper battery disposal.