GLEAN is a juried art program that taps into the creativity of artists to inspire people to think about their consumption habits, the waste they generate and the resources they throw away.
Every year, five local artists chosen by a jury of arts and environmental professionals are given access to the Metro Central transfer station for five months to glean discarded materials to make art. The program culminates with an exhibition of their works in the summer at a local gallery. This year with Covid-19 in mind, artists have been asked to work with materials found in their homes or studios until it is safe to return to the transfer station.
Launched in 2010, GLEAN is a partnership between Recology Portland, Metro, the regional government that manages the Portland area’s garbage and recycling system and crackedpots, a nonprofit environmental arts organization.
GLEAN accepts applications from artists residing in Multnomah, Washington and Clackamas counties. We will begin accepting applications for next year on January 1, 2020.
Eligibility & Selection
A board of arts and environmental professionals will choose new artists from the Portland area to participate in the program. The artists will have access to the Metro Central transfer station (aka, the “dump”) to glean materials to use to create art. The program culminates in a formal exhibition in the fall.
- Artists will have the opportunity to glean materials from Metro Central transfer station for six months.
- Each artist will be required to create a minimum of eight pieces available for sale at the exhibition.
- Ninety-five percent of each piece must be created from materials gleaned from the transfer station.
- Each artist will be paid a $2,000 stipend upon the successful completion of the program.
- Each artist will receive 80% commission from the sale of their art at the 2016 exhibition.
- Recology and Metro will each retain one piece from each artist for public exhibition.
Contact Deborah Munk if you would like to be added to the list for future Call for Artists and/or exhibition notices at email@example.com or (415) 330-1415.