GLEAN is a partnership between Recology Portland, crackedpots, an environmental arts organization, and Metro, the regional government that manages the Portland metropolitan area’s garbage and recycling system. Since its founding in 2010, GLEAN’s mission has been to prompt people to think about their consumption habits, inspire creative reuse, and initiate larger conversations about “waste.”
Every year, five local artists are chosen by a jury of arts and environmental professionals to help promote new ways of thinking about conserving resources, art, and the environment. Each artist receives a stipend and privileges for six months to scavenge discarded materials at Metro Central Transfer Station in Northwest Portland. The program culminates with an exhibition in the fall at a local gallery.
2017 GLEAN Exhibition
August 4, 6-9pm
Bison Building, PNCA
421 NE 10th Ave., Portland
August 4th – 26th
Friday – Sunday, noon – 5pm
GLEAN accepts applications from artists residing in Multnomah, Washington and Clackamas counties. The online application will be available when the next round of artists culminate.
Eligibility & Selection
A board of arts and environmental professionals will choose new artists from the Portland area to participate in the program. The artists will have access to the Metro Central transfer station (aka, the “dump”) to glean materials to use to create art. The program culminates in a formal exhibition in the fall.
- Artists will have the opportunity to glean materials from Metro Central transfer station for six months.
- Each artist will be required to create a minimum of eight pieces available for sale at the exhibition.
- Ninety-five percent of each piece must be created from materials gleaned from the transfer station.
- Each artist will be paid a $2,000 stipend upon the successful completion of the program.
- Each artist will receive 80% commission from the sale of their art at the 2016 exhibition.
- Recology and Metro will each retain one piece from each artist for public exhibition.
Contact Amy Wilson if you would like to be added to the list for future Call for Artists and/or exhibition notices at email@example.com or (503) 278-0725.