Paint & Paint Cans
Please follow these instructions when disposing of latex paint cans:
Metal cans or plastic buckets containing latex paint must be dried out and then put in the garbage. Cans or buckets containing wet paint are NOT allowed in the garbage.
- To dry out small amounts of latex paint (less than 1-inch), leave the lid off for several days until the contents are dry.
- To dry out large amounts of latex paint or to dry it quickly, mix 50/50 with kitty litter or a commercial paint hardener such as “Waste Away.” Allow the mixture to dry in the can.
- Put dried out paint cans in your garbage with the lid off so drivers can see that the can contains only dried paint.
Please follow these instructions when disposing of oil-based paint cans:
- Empty oil-based paint cans are allowed in the garbage
- If oil-based paint can is not empty, please dispose of at your local Hazardous Waste Collection Facility.