Artist In Residence
The Artist in Residence (AIR) Program at Recology is a unique art and education program that provides King County artists with access to discarded materials, a stipend, and a studio space at the Recology recycling facility. Modeled after the Artist in Residence Program at Recology San Francisco, Recology hopes to encourage people to conserve natural resources and promote new ways of thinking about art and the environment, by supporting artists who work with recycled materials.
During their residencies, artists have scavenging privileges and access to the company’s art studio. Artists speak to school classes and adult tour groups about the experience of working with recycled materials. At the conclusion of their residency, Recology hosts a public exhibition and reception for the artists featuring the artwork made during their residency. When the residency ends, artists contribute artwork to the program’s permanent collection and these pieces continue to be shown in off-site exhibitions that promote recycling and reuse.
- To encourage the reuse of materials
- To support King County artists by providing access to materials available at the recycling facility
- To prompt children and adults to think about their own consumption practices
- To encourage the public to consider the connection between art and the environment
What We Provide Artists
- Access to the materials at the Material Recovery Facility
- A well-equipped art studio
- An exhibition and reception at the end of the residency (including printed invitations, refreshments, installation assistance, etc.)
- Miscellaneous supplies and equipment
- A monthly stipend
- The presentation of artists’ work in off-site exhibitions
- Work in the studio 20 hours per week for the duration of the residency
- Greet and speak to tour groups
- Make several pieces of art for the company’s permanent art collection
- Use materials recovered from King County’s waste stream
- Be available to talk with the media
Questions about the program? Looking to sign up for a tour? Send us an email!