Fluorescent Lights & CLF Bulbs
Recology CleanScapes provides free on-call collection of fluorescent tubes and bulbs (CFLs) for residential customers. Call our customer service team to arrange a pick-up of these materials. For commercial, apartment and condominium customers, service must be requested by the bill payer on record.
Fluorescent lights contain small amounts of hazardous substances and must be recycled separately from all other recyclables. Please DO NOT put them inside your recycling cart.
Please follow these instructions to recycle fluorescent tubes and bulbs:
- Schedule a Special Item Recycling Collection:
- Wrap tubes in several layers of newspaper, secure with tape.
- Put bulbs in plastic bag tied closed (or Ziploc® style bag).
- Set bulbs on top of recycle cart (not inside).
- Place well-wrapped tubes next to your recycling cart. Tubes longer than 4 feet will not be collected.
- Limit: 2 tubes/bulbs per collection, 10 tubes/bulbs per year.
Customers may also drop off tubes and bulbs at the nearest Recology Store:
Additionally, LightRecycle Washington is a program that allows individuals and businesses in Washington to recycle up to 10 mercury-containing lights per day for FREE. You can recycle straight and curved fluorescent tubes, compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) and High Intensity Discharge Lights (HIDs) at authorized LightRecycle collection sites. Visit LightRecycle.org to find a collection site near you.