Household Hazardous Waste

Household hazardous wastes (HHW) are products that contain toxic materials that can be harmful to humans and the environment if disposed of improperly.  Hazardous waste is not accepted in curbside garbage, recycling, or organics carts. Look for a label that may say CAUTION-WARNING-DANGER-POISON to determine if a product is hazardous. Empty containers may go in the garbage, with the exception of propane tanks.

Household hazardous waste items include, but are not limited to: toxic household cleaners, paint thinners, pesticides, mercury-containing fluorescent bulbs and tubes, electronic waste and car batteries.

All batteries must be taken to specified drop-off locations or returned to retailers, depending on battery type. Lead acid, rechargable, and button batteries contain toxic materials and are particularly hazardous to human and environmental health. For more information, visit

Batteries that must be taken to a drop-off center:

  • Alkaline – These are the common brand name batteries such as Duracell or Energizer
  • Lithium Ion (Li-ion) – Rechargeable batteries for laptops, cell phones, and MP3 players
  • Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) – Rechargeable batteries for portable electronics and power tools
  • Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) – Common brand name rechargeable batteries
  • Zinc-Air and Silver Oxide batteries – Button type batteries found in watches, calculators, and hearing aids

Batteries that are not accepted at drop-off centers:

  • Lead-Acid – Car batteries; these must be taken to auto parts/repair stores
  • Shoreline residential customers may also drop off household batteries at The Recology Store Shoreline.

Drop-Off Centers in Shoreline:

  • Bartell Drugs – Photo Center, 18420 Aurora Ave N
  • Walgreens – Photo Center, 14510 Aurora Ave N, 17524 Aurora Ave N, 17518 15th Ave NE
  • City Hall lobby – 17500 Midvale Ave N
  • Shoreline Police Station – 1206 N 185th St
  • The Recology Store Shoreline

Although you can put cooking oil and grease in the garbage, you now have another choice. Support the renewable biofuel movement by recycling your kitchen oil at Central Market Shoreline!

15505 Westminster Way N
Shoreline, WA 98133

Drop off
Shoreline residential customers may also drop off used cooking oil at The Recology Store Shoreline.


Unused medicines are accepted in the garbage, however there are better ways to dispose of them.

Medicines flushed down the toilet add unwanted contaminants to surface water bodies and marine habitats. Medicines put in your garbage could be found and accidentally consumed by children or pets, or resold illegally.

Drop off
For drop-off centers, visit the Take Back Your Meds website or call 206.763.4444.

  • Paint
    • Please follow these instructions when disposing of latex paint cans:
        • Metal cans or plastic buckets containing latex paint must be dried out and then put in the garbage. Cans or buckets containing wet paint are NOT allowed in the garbage.
        • To dry out small amounts of latex paint (less than 1-inch), leave the lid off for several days until the contents are dry.
        • To dry out larger amounts of latex paint or to dry it quickly, mix 50/50 with kitty litter or a commercial paint hardener such as “Waste Away.” Allow the mixture to dry in the can.
        • Put dried out paint cans in your garbage with the lid off so drivers can see that the can contains only dried paint.

    Please follow these instructions when disposing of oil-based paint cans:

Fluorescent lights contain small amounts of hazardous substances and must be recycled separately from all other recyclables. Please DO NOT put them inside your recycling cart.

We offer free curbside collection of compact fluorescent tubes and bulbs (CFLs) for single-family residential customers in Shoreline.

Single-family Residential Customers:

  • Schedule a Special Item Recycling Collection by submitting a form or calling 206.763.4444.
  • Wrap tubes in several layers of newspaper, secure with tape.
  • Put bulbs in plastic bag tied closed (or Ziploc® style bag).
  • Set bulbs on top of recycle cart (not inside).
  • Place well-wrapped tubes next to your recycling cart. Tubes longer than 4 feet will not be collected.
  • Limit: 2 tubes/bulbs per collection, 10 tubes/bulbs per year.

Drop off
Residential customers may also drop off fluorescent tubes and CFL bulbs at The Recology Store Shoreline.

Additionally, LightRecycle Washington is a program that allows individuals and businesses in Washington to recycle up to 10 mercury-containing lights per day for FREE. You can recycle straight and curved fluorescent tubes, compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) and High Intensity Discharge Lights (HIDs) at authorized LightRecycle collection sites. Visit to find a collection site near you.

Putting loose sharps into the garbage is a health risk for solid waste workers. The best ways to dispose of sharps generated in the home is through a local pharmacy, a mail-in program, at your doctor’s office, or at a designated drop-off location.


King County information is available at King County Local Hazardous Waste Management Program website or by calling the King County Household Hazards line at 206-296-4692; or by emailing

If the options above are not available, syringes may be disposed of in the garbage if placed in puncture resistant container such as a number two (2) PET pop bottle, with a tight fitting or taped lid and labeled “SHARPS, DO NOT RECYCLE.”

Contact your local pharmacy and ask about their “sharps” collection services. Many Bartell Drugs stores offer sharps disposal containers and will dispose of sharps/needles for a fee. Contact your local Bartell Drugs store for more information.

Purchase a postage paid, mail-in container. For more information on where to purchase, search for “sharps mail in programs” on your computer, ask your doctor, or contact the following companies:

BioMedical Waste Solutions

GRP & Associates, Inc


Source: King County Local Hazardous Waste Management Program

Motor Oil

Recology CleanScapes will collect empty, small, disposable, camping-style propane cylinders or cans when pick up is requested. Please schedule a Special Recycling Item Collection or call 206.763.4444 to request collection.

We do not accept large propane tanks. If you have refillable propane tanks for your barbeque, make sure to reuse them or drop them off at a certified take-back facility. You can find local facilities by searching online.

 Unwanted household hazardous waste can be dropped off at King County Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Centers.  For more information download the King County Hazardous Waste Disposal Flyer or call the King County Hazardous Waste Hotline 206-296-4692 or 1-888-TOXIC-ED (869-4233).  Please visit the Local Hazardous Waste Management Program.