John A. Legnitto Environmental Learning Center
The John A. Legnitto Environmental Learning Center (ELC) at Recology San Francisco is where the public can come to learn more about resource recovery. Named after one of our most loved general managers who passed away in 2015, the ELC is utilized for class field trips, tours, and other educational meetings.
The ELC houses a classroom, the Artist in Residence program offices, and a gallery featuring work made by past artists.
Wondering where your recyclables go once they leave the curb? Sign up for a facility tour to learn more about materials Recology processes and our Zero Waste efforts in San Francisco.
Recology offers two public tours each month – the 3rd Saturday and 4th Wednesday of each month.
Third Saturday Tour
Geared toward those interested in learning more about the Artist in Residence Program. This tour does not include a visit to Recycle Central at Pier 96 (recycling and sorting facility).
Fourth Wednesday Tour
Focuses on recycling, and includes a visit to Recycle Central at Pier 96.
- Tours include a walk up three long flights of stairs and walking on uneven surfaces and hills
- Certain areas of the facility may be extremely slippery
- Tours involve loud noises, strong smells and dust
- Attendees must wear closed-toe, comfortable walking shoes (no sandals)
- For safety reasons, tours are not appropriate for children under nine years of age
- Tours are not held if it is raining
- Tours take approximately two hours to complete; visitors must be able to complete the entire tour
CONTACT THE ELC
To make a reservation, please call (415) 330-9943.
Mailing address (this is not the location for tours):
501 Tunnel Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94134