Beyond the Cart
Recology is pleased to offer more than curbside collection of compostables, recyclables and garbage to our residential customers. We help you make the best and highest use out of all the materials you throw away.
Our programs are tailored to each community we serve, and may include collection and responsible recycling of harder to recycle materials. Some examples are:
- Batteries and Cell Phones. All batteries and cell phones are considered Universal Waste once discarded. They contain heavy metals such as arsenic, mercury, lead, cadmium and nickel, which can contaminate the environment when they are improperly disposed of. Universal Waste includes batteries of all sizes: AAA, AA, C, D, button cell, 9 Volt, and all others, both rechargeable and single use. Batteries and cell phones can be safely recycled.
- Bulky items. Bulky items are large appliances such as washing machines, clothes dryers, refrigerators or freezers, or other large items such as mattresses and box springs, furniture such as recliners and desk. We strongly support recycling and reuse of items and encourage the community to take advantage of donation opportunities offered by local organizations. Please consider donating items you no longer want or need to any number of local non-profits and community groups.
- Hazardous wastes. Household Hazardous Waste and Universal Waste, including electronic waste (e-waste), are rapidly growing problems that account for significant amounts of toxic waste in landfills. They are illegal to put into the trash or pour down a drain or gutter because they will contaminate the soil, drinking water and air. Hazardous waste items include electronics, fluorescent bulbs and tubes, paints, pesticides, cleaning products, medications and other chemicals.
- Holiday trees. If your community has a holiday tree collection program with Recology, once you've removed all the tinsel, lights, decorations and stands from it, you can leave the tree next to your green compost cart, and we will pick it up for you.
- Motor oil and filters. Just one quart of motor oil that is disposed of improperly can contaminate up to 2 million gallons of fresh water! We are pleased to provide a curbside collection of used oil and filters where ever we can.
We also offer a variety of other special programs.
Are you building or remodeling your home?
See your local Recology company for details about the programs and services we offer.